Social Entrepreneurship Through Volunteering
Aim of the project
Creating a platform of awareness on volunteering internationally and nationally and raising the importance of basic financial education.
Since there has been identified a huge gap in local volunteering in Cape Town, the aim of this social entrepreneurship project is therefore to create a platform for awareness on volunteering in South Africa and abroad. Further the project aims to highlight the importance of basic financial education due to an identified need for expanding the knowledge of fiances and budgeting in households. This has lead us to introduce Financial Literacy education with the volunteers in partnership with PM Skills House who offered to facilitate the literacy education. Throughout the project, young people will have the opportunity to engage in social entrepreneurship, expand their knowledge on volunteering and advance financial literacy education in local communities. Hence the objective is to create a social activity that plays a significant role in overcoming social challenges of a particular community through the different skills and knowledge of the volunteers.
- Young people between the ages of 18-35 who are interested in volunteering
- Create an interest in volunteering by inviting participants to volunteer camps
- Invite a social entrepreneur to share the story of her/his social enterprise
- Learn more about financial literacy and the importance of setting up a budget
- Engage with social entrepreneurship and comprehend how it can play a role in addressing social issues faced by communities
- Create mappings of the communities in which the participants reside and develop activities to be run in these communities.
Action plan & Timeline
- Social Entrepreneurship Through Volunteering and Financial Literacy Workshop (29 May 2019)
- Workshop on financial literacy education and social entrepreneurship through volunteering
Social Entrepreneurship Through Volunteering and Financial Literacy Workshop
As part of the Social Entrepreneurship project, ICYE South Africa-Volunteer Centre hosted a workshop on Social Entrepreneurship in May 2019. The workshop dealt with financial literacy education and social entrepreneurship through volunteering.
The participants were introduced to basic financial literacy education focusing on preparing a budget and the importance of savings. The role of volunteering as a means of combating issues that are faced by many communities provided the framework and was as such discussed throughout the workshop.
Another workshop is scheduled for October-December.