ICYE in the World
"An exchange year that made me rediscover myself“
Suvi Raatikainen (Finland to the United Kingdom)
"A year with great influence in my life. I can understand and accept better other people’s mentality”
Alejandra Jimenez (Costa Rica to Switzerland)
"A long-term exchange programme for everyone who wants to experience a different culture, because our culture is not the measure of the world.”
Thomas Wulf (Germany to Ghana)
"I will be more sensitive towards foreign people in my country, I am more open to them and have a clear idea of what and how injustice can be for the people”
Marie Theres Piller (Switzerland to India)
"A truly amazing experience. This exchange year has helped me focus and discover myself. Every young person should go on this programme. Thanks ICYE!"
Rubaica Jaliwala (India to Germany)
"This is a great initiative! By giving out of yourself one receives so much more in return."
Victoria (Nigeria to United Kingdom)
"Just want to tell you: Thanks a lot for the help, and making me a real 'intercultural person'... I found myself in Lithuania, even if it has been hard at times... But I will never forget this great experience.."
Albert Dolevic (Serbia and Montenegro to Lithuania)
What is ICYE?
- a leader in international youth exchange programmes with more than 60 years of experience promoting young people’s active and global citizenship
- an international voluntary service programme with significant presence across all continents
- an experience based programme to enhance young people’s intercultural understanding and commitment to peace and justice
- an international network of local organisations providing volunteers with the necessary orientation, training and support
- long and short-term exchange programmes for 4.000 participants annually
- To provide challenging intercultural learning experiences for young people.
- To promote their social and personal development through international volunteer programmes
- To promote intercultural understanding, equality of opportunity, tolerance and peace among people in the world
„ICYE is committed to and will work with others who are committed to:
- Justice for all persons who suffer from social, political, economic and personal injustice;
- Break through the barriers between cultures and peoples;
- The principle of equality among cultures, nations and sexes;
- Providing experiences that will encourage international and intercultural understanding;
- Helping participants to become aware of the issues and problems in the local and national community in order to better understand world-wide socio-economic-political issues and problems;
- Encouraging commitment to act on these understandings, both during the exchange experience and beyond.“
(Preamble of the Constitution)
The ICYE Federation is affiliated to and works with the support of the following international organisations:
- UN-Economic and Social Council – ECOSOC (Consultative Status)
- United Nations Department of Public Information, DPI-NGO Committee
- UNESCO NGO official partner of UNESCO (Consultative Status)
- UNESCO-NGOs Liaison Committee
- World Council of Churches (working relations as international ecumenical organisation)
- European Commission, Directorate General Education and Culture
- Co-ordinating Committee of International Voluntary Service (CCIVS)
How does ICYE work?
ICYE is a Federation of Full and Associate Member National Committees.
National Committees are autonomous. They develop and run the program according to the needs of the youth of their countries, and following policies and guidelines prepared and adopted by the General Assembly of the Federation.
General Assembly: It is the highest decision-making body of the Federation. It meets every second year.
Board of Managers: It meets twice a year. It consists of four members who act and decide on behalf of the General Assembly in between General Assemblies.
International Office: It is located in Berlin, Germany. Carries out and co-ordinates activities and programmes as decided by the General Assembly.Regions: ICYE Regional Associations provide support on programme development and training to National Committees in Africa, the Americas, Asia/Pacific, and Europe.