Sustainable Camping Area
- Collective growth
- Youth employability
- Ability to respond to change
- Community mapping
- TECHO gathered info
- First workshop
- Community sustainability
- Eco-friendly business
Community San Francisco Cruz Loma: a group of 110 people of all ages residing in the mountains.
How will it impact them?
The community is very enthusiastic about the idea of a social business. They are willing to work and already know the team of volunteers. They have decided to make the camping area a sustainable, social business.
Action plan & timeline
- Create a camping area with basic services: bathrooms, showers, water, and the possibility to order food. The place is owned by the entire community.
- SMART: Basic camping area and its page on social media will be open by the end of July, services of bathroom showers and drinking water will be added by the end of November 2019.
- Management structure: The community is responsible for building and maintaining the local business and the volunteers are responsible for help with marketing: website, social media, photos.
Timeline: 1st of June – 30th November 2019
Budget & Financial plan
Investment is needed in order to make new signs and guidelines for the camping area, as well as the costs of marketing: paid promotion on social media, server and domain for the website. Cost of building materials needs to be covered. The community has the skills necessary to build the infrastructure and the volunteers have the skills necessary to promote the business.
Communication Plan for marketing, promotion & dissemination
The community needs access to internet to communicate with the team and customers and to learn how to use online marketing.
All community members, tourists, camping and hiking enthusiasts of all ages by providing services and ecological education.
- Dinners Club
- Central University, Quito
- Eco-friendly tourist network
- ASOTRUFALON Association
- Mid-term (at the volunteer’s mid-term evaluation)
- Periodic updates on progress
- Action plan to be adapted accordingly
- Self-assessment (at start, mid-term and project end)
- Volunteers gain their first work experience, learn teamwork, tools like SWOT, business plans, etc. as well as develop marketing skills.
- The community becomes more independent and can make better use of their land, streamline and improve relationships with tourist organizations, increases its income, gain new customers for camping and other businesses already in existence.
- As a social business, it intends to promote community ownership and ecological knowledge outside the community: with partners and customers.
- The 110 people making up the community will improve their lives and all customers will learn about eco-friendly ways of living.
Follow-up / Sharing & Exchange
- Description of the project in TECHO’s materials.
- Case studies for sustainability of the social business.
- Sharing results of the project on VASE and TECHO websites and social media.
- Volunteers will be educated to continue supporting the project and reproduce it in other communities.
- Sharing the experience with other NGO.