AICCAD undertakes different programs to meet her mission and vision. The main goal is to transform lives of the vulnerable groups within the society by giving them hope and a future. This is done through children’s homes (CSP) ,Youth training constitutions (TVET) and livelihood (CCCD) targeting the vulnerable children, youths and families within the community. The programs complement one another and HIV program is main-streamed within each program.
Education support: i.e. payment of school fees, provision of learning materials, school visits, sponsor correspondences etc.
Provision of food and nutrition: i.e. regular and adequate breakfast, lunch and dinner, food security projects etc.
Medical care: i.e first aid, provision of toiletries, mosquito nets and fumigation services, health talks, facilitating medical attention for children etc.
Provision of shelter and care: i.e boarding supplies and equipment.
Psychosocial support: i.e conducting bible studies, youth camps, career guidance, talent shows, sports, birthday parties, professional counseling, reunification of children etc.
Child protection: i.e child rescue, social inquiries, family assessments, environmental adjustments and reunification of children.
Staff capacity strengthening to enhance knowledge and skills in service delivery to the children.
Networking and collaboration with like-minded stakeholders to enhance service delivery to children.
Life skills for both youth and children.
Youth groups activities.
Saving and loaning activity with women groups.
In Tamu Livelihood Project, the volunteer will be involved in the following activities;
1. Psychosocial support of children clubs in community and schools on an ongoing basis.
2. Life skills and sporting activities for the youth on an ongoing and occasional basis
3. Volunteer’s own project in areas of youth resource centre, psychosocial support or food security
In Achego Children’s Home, the volunteer will be involved in the following activities;
1. Psychosocial Support (PSS): To enable Children living in the home be able to cope with their emotional, social, spiritual, mental and physical situations through;
Bible studies on an ongoing basis.
Outdoor and indoor games on an ongoing basis.
Talent shows on occasional basis.
Life skills sessions and career guidance on an ongoing and occasional basis.
General counseling services on an ongoing basis.
Case studies and management.
2. Volunteer own projects: The volunteer would be able to initiate her own projects which are in line with the services to the children living in the centre i.e food security projects or youth friendly resource centre.
Volunteer requirements / Skills
The expected volunteer characteristics are;
- Should be a Christian
- Should be of either gender, female or male.
- Should have the necessary knowledge and skills in working with the children.
- Should embrace team work
- Should have commitment to serve the underprivileged in the society
- Should be able to communicate in English
- Should be confidential in her work with the children
- Should be able to show loyalty and belief in work of the organization
- Should be able to abide by policies of children’s home as outlined in child protection policy
Achego children home and livelihood project are located in Tamu location , Muhoroni Sub County, Kisumu County approximately 50 kilometres from East of Kisumu town and off Awasi Nandi Hills road in Western Region of Kenya. The project area (sub-Location) has 13 villages each headed by an elected village elder who represents the community at the local administrative Government structure. The community size ranges from 1,200 – 1,300 households with an average of 5 family members hence it has an approximate population of 6,200 people. Most of the families practice subsistence farming by growing food crops such as maize, sorghum, beans. The livestock include cattle, goats, sheep and poultry which serve as alternative source of income in the family. Majority of the families live in poorly constructed semi-permanent, or grass thatched houses with mud walls and floor